Sunday, December 6, 2009
Vintage Christmas Monday








This little Christmas village makes use of several thrift store finds.  A vintage mirror shelf display and the little plastic houses that were meant to be used as Christmas light covers.  I embellished them with lots of glitter which makes everything good in my opinion. Gordon Gekko said "Greed is good." I say "Glitter is good."































I love vintage Christmas cards.  The last few photos are a small selection of cards that I bought from a garage sale that were in a shoe box.  Someone took the cards they received and cut the illustrations on the cover with zigzag sissors and then glued them onto construction paper, also cut with zigzag sissors.  Some are so beautiful. 

My sister likes to frame vintage cards interspersed with family photos:




This vintage chandelier was purchased at one of the best garage sales I have ever been too.  The woman was selling jars of vintage buttons for one dollar! and I only bought one jar.  I could spend money like water at Walmart but couldn't talk myself into buying more than one jar of vintage buttons for a dollar.  It haunts me everyday.  Rather than paying to have the chandelier rewired, I placed candles in the sockets.  It had a different look at Halloween:






Last, my prized possession.  What vintage Christmas lover does not covet aluminum Christmas trees?  I accidently threw the base away many years ago and so each year I have to find creative ways to keep it upright.  One year I planted it in a big container of my loose coins, another year not so rich, it was in a container of rocks and this year, styrofoam balls and an ice cube bucket work quite well.  It is in my guest room.  Like many of you, I have enough trees for each room of my house to be adorned with one. 

Merry Christmas until Next Monday!
Sara

7 comments:

Judi said...

It all looks sooo fabulous, the shelf, the white tree ... I agree glitter is GOOD! Thanks for sharing. Judi

Postcardy said...

All of your things are nice, but what I really love is the card with the two kitties. I have two brown tabbies. I have Valentines with cats, but never see vintage Christmas cards for sale.

★Carol★ said...

I passed up one of those vintage mirrored shelves this summer because I had nowhere to put it. It was only $5. I absolutely love what you did with yours!! And that aluminum tree is fabulous, you lucky girl!
Happy VCM!
Carol

Julie Marie said...

Hi Sara, all of your vintage treasures are wonderful! Your little village looks beautiful! Bisous... Julie Marie

Sherrie said...

Today's post was fun, but I really enjoyed your post from last Monday. I would love to have a few of your pieces for my collection. Thank you for sharing. It is so much fun that we are using what others would have tossed away as junk.

Gypsy Fish said...

That vintage tree is to die for....love it!

anythinggoeshere said...

I agree that glitter is good. I use it on a lot of new things and glitter gives them a nice vintage look! Love your post. Happy Vintage Christmas Monday~ on Wednesday. I am still hopping around trying to see everyone. See you next Monday! xo Joan, your hostess

Post a Comment